Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Christmas shopping is out of control

Originally published:  Monday, December 18, 2006 at 10:54pm
Context: I was a freshman in college with a part-time job.

My shopping practices this year have spiraled out of control. My family is growing at an alarming rate, and I can't seem to keep up in the Presents Department.

Basically, I wish I could give everyone a Christmas present that was super cool, and not made out of popsicle sticks and tin foil, but to be honest, I'm going broke really fast.

I have just realized how many people I've been shopping for: 11 people. 11 PEOPLE just in my family!!! This happened over the course of the year after gaining a step-family on my dad's side, and two other people in my family getting engaged. I was tempted to start doing the and-this-present-is-for-EVERYONE-to-share thing, but I had already bought a bunch of individual presents that I couldn't necessarily return, so I'm stuck buying and buying and buying.

I'm a poor college student! I mean, I would be happy to get lots of bottled water, chewing gum, and microwaveable food for Christmas. I really don't need more stuff -- dorms are tiny, in case you haven't noticed. Somehow, though, I doubt that my step-sister would be terribly impressed with three packs of Wrigley's and a Cup of Noodles on Christmas Eve.

And after spending so much on my family, it hasn't left much funds for friends' presents. I am stuck.

No comments: