Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I Miss Pluto

Originally posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 3:21am
Context: "Science" had just announced that Pluto would no longer be considered a planet in the Solar System.

 
I never really thought about Pluto - aka the ninth and smallest planet in our solar system - aka the Pickles in the My-Very-Educated-Mother-Just-Served-Us-Nine-Pickles mnemonic for memorizing the planets - aka the planet we really cared least about.

But NOW I care. Science has decided that Pluto isn't really a planet after all...
Sorry, Pluto.

So now what is my very educated mother going to serve us? Ninjas? NAKED? How inappropriate of her.

I guess this makes it easier on those kids who make that same styrofoam ball solar system deal, complete with the sun and everything, but still. This sucks. That ninth little ball that every little kid paints blue for some reason isn't allowed to be there anymore.

I miss Pluto. We should get rid of Neptune instead. Does anyone know anything cool about Neptune? Didn't think so.
I know lots about Pluto:
- it's tiny
- it's cold
- it's really far away
- it was the best planet (fact, not opinion)

Neptune on the other hand... Its name sounds like "tuna," which smells funny.

Nuff said.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I kind of agree. On the bright side, we've gained new family members. Ceres, between Mars and Jupiter. And Sedna, Quaoar, Varuna, "Xena," and more. Whether they are called planets or moons or dwarf planets, they will all be visited someday, and some of them will house bases, colonies, mining operations, etc. :-)

Caitlin said...

@Chris: Wait, so are those now considered part of the planets in the Solar System? And are kids being taught a new mnemonic device for that? I feel old and outdated...