Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cute Little Girl wants "LOTS of wine!"

Originally published: Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 2:36am
Context: Freshman in college

I'm in Huntington Beach for lunch today. I sit down outside to eat at a taco stand and there's this little family sitting at the table next to us (Zach and me).
There's this little girl in a stroller and I am, of course, eavesdropping.

The mom is sitting there drinking a beer, and the little girl is eating her stuff and drinking out of a sippy cup. And then Cute Little Girl (CLG) asks mom, "Can I have some of YOURS, Mom?" Mom and dad both say, "No, I don't think so."

Then, CLG is quiet for, like, a minute eating her stuff and thinking about life as a CLG. But, just as everything is quiet, CLG says, "I want to drink lots of wine for Christmas!" (This is on January 2nd by the way). But wait -- it improves. Mom and dad look around, embarrassed, and I couldn't help it: I burst out laughing.

Mom then says to me, "She's only three! I don't know where she's getting this..."
CLG chimes in "LOTS of wine!" Dad tries to ignore CLG, but she's really excited about this wine. Mom entertains it a little further for some reason, "RIGHT. Who's going to give YOU wine?"

CLG doesn't miss a beat and answers -- with quite an air of confidence -- "Teenagers."

No comments: