Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pretty in Pink

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."
-Maya Angelou

I put a lot of stock in Maya Angelou's criteria for testing one's character. Finding the humor or absurdity in a given situation can make the difference between living a life where all things living and otherwise are 'out to get us,' and a life where it's funny that little things like Christmas lights and luggage can get the better of us. I'd like to think that I try to live my life with the latter attitude.

I recently came to one of those crossroads--a moment where I saw two distinct options for how I would react. While I initially thought about getting horrified, I couldn't help but see the hopeless humor in it. I hadn't done my laundry in a few weeks (I know, I know) and I was running out of clean clothes to wear. My quick-fix for this was to throw 2/3 of all the clothing that I brought with me to Cairo into our little washing machine that really wasn't meant to hold more than 1/2 a normal load of laundry.

In following what I thought would be a time-efficient way of washing my clothes, I had neglected to set the water temperature to 'cold.' I had also forgotten to separate darks from whites. I had also forgotten that I had not yet put a certain maroon skirt through the laundry yet. Result? When I went to move my laundry from the washer to the drying rack, I pulled one shirt out and held it up thinking, "Whose shirt is this?" My eyes narrowed and I pulled another shirt out of the wet pile of clothes.
"Oh. Oh, no," I said to myself, my eyes widening.
2/3 of my clothing that I brought with me to Cairo is now some shade of pink, purple, or puce. In fact, my clothing now comes in so many unusual shades that I had to learn new color-names: I have a mauve taupe undertone to my blue jeans, a few carnation pink shirts, a thermal shirt that is now light thulian pink, and various other articles of clothing that are, as I have been informed, cherry blossom pink.

I had to laugh for a while. I think I might have only owned a single pink shirt before this. On the bright (pink) side, almost all of my clothes now match. And luckily, most of the shirts were dyed evenly. And those that weren't, look sort of retro-tie-dyed-ish.

Don't forget to have fun with life, folks! In one textile mishap you can either count most of your clothing for lost or inherit a whole "new" wardrobe. It's all how you frame it.


Best to you all,
Caitlin, pretty in pink




No comments: